Monday 29 September 2014

Rooney Has No Complaints About Red Card

Wayne Rooney apologised to his team-mates following his sending off in Manchester United 2-1 win over West Ham on Saturday.


The Man United skipper received a straight red from referee Lee Mason for a rash challenge on Stewart Downing as the Hammers midfielder threatened to break clear from his own half.


“Of course I did,” replied Rooney, when asked if he apologised after the match. “I think everyone knew (I was in the wrong).


“It’s always tough against 11 men when you are a man down, especially when they are throwing a lot of balls into the box as West Ham were doing so I am grateful that we held out.”


Wayne Rooney Received His Third Manchester United Career Red Card in a 2-1 Win Against West Ham on Saturday. Image: ManUtd Via Getty.

Wayne Rooney Received His Third Manchester United Career Red Card in a 2-1 Win Against West Ham on Saturday. Image: ManUtd Via Getty.



Rooney’s early opener and Robin van Persie’s first goal of the season helped the ‘Red Devils’ return to winning ways over the weekend.

The 28-year-old, who scored a hat-trick on his United debut in a 6-2 Champions League win against Turkish outfit Fenerbahce ten years ago, says he has no complaint against the red card and does not plan to appeal the referee’s decision.


Rooney said: “It was probably the right decision. I saw the West Ham player making a counter-attack and I tried to break up the play, but I just misjudged it.


“I didn’t absolutely volley the lad. I tried to trip him up and, to be fair to him, he got further away from me and that’s why my leg is straighter than it should have been. As he pushed the ball away, my leg straightened out and that is obviously why the referee deemed it as a red card.”


It means Rooney will miss league matches against Everton, West Brom and Chelsea. The England captain will only play international games through out the month of October.


“That (missing United fixtures for the whole of October) is the most disappointing thing. It is hard to take and I am obviously gutted,” he added.


“It helps that the England games are coming up and the training here is really good. It’s about getting my fitness up, so I just have to make sure I train well and are ready for when I come back.”


Rooney could make his return at the Etihad Stadium against champions Manchester City on November 2.




by Greenstarnetwork admin..

No comments:

Post a Comment