Monday 31 March 2014

United, Still a Force to Be Reckoned With- Giggs

Manchester United midfielder Ryan Giggs relishes a meeting of “two huge clubs with two great histories” when Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich visit Old Trafford in the quarter-finals first leg of the Uefa Champions League on Tuesday night.


Not many have given the reigning Premier League champions a chance to stun the Bundesliga title holders and champions elect, having struggled so far in their own current campaign, but the Welshman reckons United are still a leading name in the European game.


“We don’t see ourselves as underdogs,” Giggs, 40, said. “We see ourselves as Manchester United playing at home in the Champions League, so we’re looking forward to it.”


Ryan Giggs Fired Up Ahead of United Tie With Bayern Munich.

Ryan Giggs Fired Up Ahead of United Tie With Bayern Munich.



Bayern are favourites to retain the Champions League trophy- they claimed for the fifth time in May- for the first time ever.


The veteran however admits United will face a “fantastic” Pep Guardiola side, saying: “When we play in the Champions League it’s always a great occasion, whether it’s the final or the quarter-finals.


“Bayern are a fantastic team, they’re the holders. Pep (Guardiola) has taken over and added a few players and they’re a very strong team. They are favourites in most people’s eye.”


Giggs opined he has not been underused by the Scot, amidst reports of player-coach rift in the club’s dressing room.


“The relationship is good,” he said. “There is no problem with the manager. I know a lot of stuff has been said [in the media] but I don’t know where it has come from,” he added.


“Of course, as a player you want to play all the time but I know I’m not going to play every game. The last time I played [against Olympiacos] was my first start in six or seven weeks but we have a lot of players to choose from.


On if this is his last season and European campaign he chipped in: “I don’t know. I’ll tell you after tomorrow maybe.


“I’m trying to enjoy this season and at the end I’ll take stock and see what I want to do. I’m enjoying my football as much as ever, I feel fit but I’ll make a decision at the end of the season.”




by Greenstarnetwork admin..

No comments:

Post a Comment