Saturday 18 April 2015

Why Buhari Is Not The Type Of Person I Would Like To Call My President – Femi Aribisala

Muhammadu Buhari



Buhari is not the type of person that I would like to call my president. I don’t even agree that he is a strong leader. He is not very intelligent, he is not very articulate and I don’t even agree that he is a strong leader.



Controversial Vanguard columnist and fellowship coordinator of Healing Wings, a pentecostal Christian fellowship in Lagos, Femi Aribisala says President-elect Muhammadu Buhari still needs to ask for forgiveness for killing people through extra-judicial means and for jailing people for telling the truth, among other things. Apart from the sins he says Buhari needs to seek forgiveness for, Aribisala also thinks he cannot move the economy of Nigeria forward.


“In my view, I am pessimistic. I don’t think Buhari can move the economy forward because he has no understanding of economics. I tell people that I am waiting for our currency to be equal to the dollar which is one of the things he promised,” Aribisala told Vanguard in an interview.


“One has to see who his advisers are. Again, one has to deal with his antecedents. If there was a change in Buhari, we should have known it in the last three months. It should have come out from his pronouncements during the campaign, but there was nothing there. He said he is going to give N5,000 to 20 million poor people in Nigeria and that is N120 billion which he is going to give away in a situation where the country is cash strapped. I am going to see how this is going to happen. Buhari does not understand how to tame corruption. He did not succeed the last time.


“There are certain tendencies in the man that tells me he does not understand how to tame corruption because we are talking of a change campaign. But who are the people around him? They are not changed people. It is paradoxical that now, the party chairman is saying they don’t want defectors anymore. But how did they come to where they are? I don’t see these changes coming with Buhari. This was a rhetoric that was convenient for the purpose of winning an election. It has succeeded, but don’t let us ascribe more to it. It is going to have some grand gestures but, in the final analysis, will be meaningless,” Aribisala said.


Speaking further, he maintained that Buhari is not the type of leader he could be proud of. “Buhari is not the type of person that I would like to call my president. I don’t even agree that he is a strong leader. He is not very intelligent, he is not very articulate and I don’t even agree that he is a strong leader. Most of the positions he held, his deputies were in charge. People run circles around him. Part of the problem with democracy is that we don’t necessarily have the best choices. You have to choose between bad choices or some bad choices. I don’t see anything that will, ordinarily, make me to want Buhari as my president. I don’t see how he is an improvement on Jonathan for whatever it is that you think of Jonathan,” he said.




by Greenstarnetwork admin..

No comments:

Post a Comment